I usually don’t get much criticism which is hard for me to hear because I am my own worst critic. It is rare I hear something suprising other than the words goodbye. I can’t handle goodbye’s but that is a whole other story.
I do have one story about a girl… but it is much too pathetic to tell. Plus to tell the story would hurt her and make me look vengeful so I will refrain, and I have too many friends who still do things with her. I don’t know why but to each their own.
I am told both to my face and through various gossip highways that I am a Narcissist. I have been assured by a professional I am not but I still wonder what it is about me that causes varies parties to believe I am. Maybe, it is my billions of pictures as a fellow blogger likes to point out. Maybe, it is the fact I tend to make everything about me as a good friend once admonished. There are other people, including the girl above, who have said these things.
Am I a Narcissist? I decided to let the internet tell me.
Wikipedia: The term narcissism comes from the Greek myth of Narcissus, a handsome Greek youth who rejected the desperate advances of the nymph Echo. These advances eventually led Narcissus to fall in love with his own reflection in a pool of water. Unable to consummate his love, Narcissus “lay gazing enraptured into the pool, hour after hour,” and finally changed into a flower that bears his name, the narcissus.
I really kind of love this story, however, I have trouble just looking at my reflection in the mirror every morning. I wonder what it would be like to fall in love with your own image. Did he even care if anyone agreed with him or not? My guess no… he was content and that seems beautiful.
A book by Thomas, David. Narcissism: Behind the Mask (2012) is about power-hungry narcissists and suggests that narcissists typically display most, and sometimes all, of the following traits:
An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges – Sometimes this is true for me, I mean I worry about how I am presenting myself and how the other person feels about what I am saying. I guess that is my answer though, I do care what they think.
Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships – I would say I have had 3 important relationships end on bad terms. I have been married 20+ years. I don’t think I have a problem with this one.
A lack of psychological awareness : I assume this means they don’t believe they have a psychosis and don’t care. Regardless, I have am overly obsessed with my psyche.
Difficulty with empathy – If anything I am too empathetic.
Problems distinguishing the self from others – If I get close to someone then my boundaries seem to include that person. At first I thought I fit this scenario. A narcissist will see the other person as an extension of themselves and as someone to help meet their own needs or they don’t exist. I do feel the other is a part of me but the needs go both ways.
Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined– This one fits me. I try so hard to be perfect and when someone like the girl above discounts me then I am angry about it. I am self defensive, and it creates anxiety that is hard for me to overcome easily. In reality, it is another persons disappointment in me that causes me distress.
Haughty body language: I don’t even know… but I have never been accused of looking or acting snobby or arrogant.
Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them: Maybe I do this but it is more an act of respect for me. If someone flatters me I tend to flatter back. It is always sincere but I know how flattery makes some people uncomfortable so it is rare I flatter someone until I know if they are comfortable with it.
Detesting those who do not admire them (narcissistic abuse): There are lots of people who do not admire me and I still admire them.
Using other people without considering the cost of doing so: NO…
Pretending to be more important than they really are: Haha NO again.
Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements: When I am proud of something I did then I do brag but normally I down play the achievement mainly because there is always someone has done more than I have and probably did it better.
Claiming to be an “expert” at many things: Well hey I believe you can be anything you want and accomplish any goal you have but to be an “expert” at anything you have to have spent time something I never have time to do. I know a little about a lot of things.
Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people: I enjoy changing my perspective.
In conclusion I believe I am and I am not narcissistic. I believe we all have some narcissistic traits. I have to wonder though what it means that I was so worried I was narcissistic that I did this much research to reveal the truth to myself. That is perhaps a self diagnosis for another day.
Now I am going to go take a selfie and give myself a pep talk.
- Harsh | The Magic Black Book
- My.Vivid.Visions | Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Emotions
- Winter Is Near (Harsh) | photo potpourri
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Under the Monkey Tree
- Accurate | Lost in Adeline’s
- Criticism never kills | Clandestine Destiny
- That Was Way Harsh [Daily Prompt: Sad But True] | unknowinglee
- ‘You are DELUDED!’ | alienorajt
- Telling myself off. | thoughtsofrkh
- Always impatient | crookedeyebrows
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True – Criticism | Anniemation Floe
- (22) Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Family, Photos, Food & Craft
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True « Mama Bear Musings
- My Fiancé thinks I am a Junkie! | Shiwanidoez
- Writing Advice; “Good Writing Is Persisting” (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- the truth hurts like a 4 year old’s stomp on your foot | wannabepoet
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Awl and Scribe
- Lolz Criticism | મન ની વાત
- DAILY PROMPT: SAD BUT TRUE? | SERENDIPITY
- You’re Useless | submissivelysecret
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True (A Conversation Between Friends) | I Hope You’re Taking Notes
- She Sees the World Through Rose Coloured Glasses … | Girlie Groove
- Maybe it’s you. Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Reinvention of Mama
- Puppy Mill Life… | Haiku By Ku
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Chicomallorca’s Blog
- Harshest | Hope* the happy hugger
- Regarding Those Friends Who See Through You to Something Better: | Rob’s Surf Report
- The Lurker’s List | Misery
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | The Story of a Guy
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Sad but True | Kate Murray
- Don’t take it personally … | 365 And Counting
- I do not like doing things wrong! | Eccentric Lady
- Admit It. | ayimas
- No willpower | Life is great
- Oooo…ouch…. | Maybe Not So Zen…
- Sad but True? | Going New Places!
- Sad But True | The Nameless One
- You’re like a cat – you only call when you want something | Feel & Rebuild Your Self Confidence
- Bad juju gaga | Lady Goo Goo Gaga
- DP: Sad but True | The Deepwater Goldfish
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Time Collage
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Moments Thru Lens
- Harsh | Rebecca Barray
- Me, Myself, and I. | Many More Ripples
- Sad But True: Daily Prompt | lifebeinggirly
- Steve Says….
- Daily Prompt: Sad but true | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Daily Prompt: Sad But True | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Sad but True | Winging it
- Harsh? | Taking One Day At A Time